Re: [tlug] Power Consumption Reduction (was Power Consumption Cost)

Evan Monroig wrote:

> Jim <jep200404@example.com> writes:
> >
> > Let's use a wild arse figure of 100 Watts consumption for
> > a five year old computer with one hard drive.
> > At 10 yen per kWh, that would be about 8760 yen per year.
> > At 25 yen per kWh, that would be about 21900 yen per year.
>
> This is the reason why I abandonned the idea of hosting my server at
> home.

Find a laptop that is old enough to not run XP well.
I think most of those are in the 20 to 40 Watt range.
That will be a small enough amount of power to be affordable
at home, even at 25 Yen/kWh.

Laptops tend to be rather warm inside, and laptop drives don't
last as long anyway, so if I was running a laptop 24/7,
I would likely add an external fan to help lower the temperature
of the harddrive.

Better yet, remove the internal laptop hard drive and use an
external (USB) hard drive instead that is much easier to cool,
and much easier to get in big capacities for much less Yen
than laptop hard drives.

> Since I don't use too much computing power, ...

an old laptop will have enough balls.