Re: [tlug] Fedora is fun to play with, but poor for servers that face the web (was Upgrading to PHP5 on Fedora)

Dave M G wrote:

> I'm going to have to simply disagree with the statement made up-thread
> that any web hosting service that uses Fedora 1 is "unprofessional".

You've been warned. If your OS breaks, you own all the pieces.

> I've been with this hosting service for a couple of years now, and
> compared to the many, many web hosting services I've had over the last
> decade or so, they are the best in customer support and uptime.

Customer support and uptime are good things.

Don't confuse that with the professionalism of an obsolete
version of Linux that _by_design_, never got beyond beta.

> That said, it seems from what I'm reading here that maybe part of what I
> need to do is upgrade to a later release of Fedora...?

Better yet, upgrade to Centos. The whole Fedora series is for playing
around with, but not for running production servers exposed to the web.

> But I know that Fedora is a bleeding edge sort of distribution, so I
> probably don't want to go to the absolute latest release. Version 4, maybe?

Now that FC5 is out, FC4 support declines dramatically.
When the next version of Fedora comes out,
support for FC5 will drop dramatically.
As long as you stay with Fedora,
you will be on an abandonment and upgrade treadmill.
Fedora is not for serious professional use.

Centos has support for _years_, by tracking RHEL.

> I'll talk to the customer support guys and see what's up. I have a
> feeling that I'm probably going to end up getting them to do my PHP
> upgrade anyway, so maybe I can look into a more general upgrade.

Centos.

It's not as exciting as Fedora Core, but it's more robust.

By the way, I don't see any PHP5 stuff in Centos 4 base:

   http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/

but I do see some PHP5 stuff here:

   http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/i386/RPMS/