Re: [tlug] Installing from source versus packages (was Upgrading to PHP5 on (obsolete) Fedora (Core 1))

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 23:20 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Erin D. Hughes wrote:
>
> > You may be able to build a source rpm but if you will go through all that
> > then why not just install from source.
>
> Stuff that is installed outside the packaging system can be
> difficult to maintain. For a production machine this is significant.
> It's better to work within the packaging system and make the
> SRPMs and RPMs.

Agreed 100% but this is a FC1 box running a 2.6.x kernel and MySQL
5.0..... they left packages and management a long time ago most
likely....

Dave did you get the output from
# rpm -qa mysql -i  <-- that is a i like Indian not a 1

Further more I agree with Jim's comment earlier.... move to something
else and save your self allot of hassle. I do not know anyone who is
running FC1 2 or 3 at the moment. Also since you don't sound like you
are running a overly complex set up it would probably involve just
rsyncing some directories where you store your data and dropping your db
and reloading it else where.