Re: [tlug] Upgrading to PHP5 on Fedora

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 19:06 +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> Stephen, Keith,
>
> Thank you for your helpful advice.
>
> I think I've worked out that what I need to get for a complete upgrade
> to PHP Version 5.1.2 on my hosting service's machine are RPMs for
> php-devel, php-pear, php-mysql, php-gd, and, of course, php itself.

Those look about right.

 http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=php-mysql

> The PHP main site only offers source, putting "PHP5 RPM download" into
> Google gets me a bunch of people's descriptions of how they installed
> PHP on their particular system without much helpful links to where they
> got their RPMs (and a lot of them just used yum, which, as it turns out,
> I don't even have on my host server), and places like Fresh RPMS where
> packages are listed by linux version, and so there's no RPM for PHP5 on
> Fedora 1.

I do not like to install from source but in a case where you have a
running version of php, and assuming you have php applications running
already, to avoid down time and compatibility issues it might be a good
idea.

A quick at google says that apache should be set to load both php4 and
php5 dynamically then set *.php to load the php4 and set *.php5 to load
the php5 for pages with that extension. Your php5 pages need to be
called .php5 then instead of plain old .php .  Not expert advice but a
good starting point.

I am not sure there is php5 rpm support for fc1. You may be able to
build a source rpm but if you will go through all that then why not just
install from source.

Question is, did we determine the uname output was FC1? The kernel
looked to new to me. I went from RH9 to FC2 and never tried FC1 so I am
not sure what the correct out put would be for a base FC1 sys. Some
quick research suggests that Yarrow (FC1) shipped with 2.4.x and was
upgraded to 2.4.22. This is just quick one off info.

> I must be doing something wrong (again). Where the heck are the RPMs for
> PHP?

You are not doing anything wrong it is just a different set of
terminology. I am sure if I was stuck with a php coding problem I would
probably google in the wrong direction for a hour before stumbling on to
the correct path.

> Dave M G

I wouldn't mind giving you a hand with it but I probably wont have any
time till next week some time.

Regards,

E./

PS Thanks Jim I was in a hurry last time.