Re: [tlug] Upgrading to PHP5 on (obsolete) Fedora Core 1

Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> I must be doing something wrong (again).

Indeed. Read on.

> ... there's no RPM for PHP5 on Fedora 1.

Fedora Core 1? Bingo! That's what you're doing wrong.

> Where the heck are the RPMs for PHP?

Your last hope for prebuilt binaries was:

   http://www.fedoralegacy.org/updates/FC1/
   http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/1/updates/i386/

No sign of PHP5.

Fedora is a rough and tumble playground for Red Hat,
for which old versions are deliberately not supported.
If you stick with FC1, you deserve all the neglect that you get.

An hosting service that is running FC1 is unprofessional.

> Is there anything else I need to know for a smooth upgrade to PHP 5?

Expect bumps. Maybe update FC1 to FC2 to FC3 to FC4 to FC5 to Centos.
Maybe you can yum your way up. I dunno. Expect bumps.
BTW, as I recall, FC1 used a 2.4 kernel.

Fedora is inappropriate for professionally supported stuff.
Centos4 is OK, since it shadows RHEL4,
so is stable and supported for years.

Jim Tittsler wrote:

> Or upgrade your distribution.  :-)