Re: [tlug] Dmesg error output

Botond, Godwin,

Thanks for youyour advice.

Botond Botyanszki wrote:
Oops, sorry. Thought that ubuntu had all what debian has, but obviously
not.
Debian has this package though:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/ivtv-source
Download this, then
# cd /usr/src
# dpkg -i ivtv-source...deb
Hmm... the modules you refer to are for kernel version 2.6.16, and I've got 2.6.15. On the IVTV web site it says that the 0.6.6 drivers are incompatible with my kernel.

So, of course, I searched for a debian package for the 0.4.5 version.

The ivtv source in debian is packaged so that a binary deb can be built
from it. It's not the same as the upstream source package!!
Okay... so if I'm going to do it this way, I need to find a debian source...

Well I hope you didn't wipe all the modules without a working kernel. If
the kernel package didn't build, how would you have rebooted without
any modules?!

Um... oops. I haven't rebooted yet. And now I'm scared to.

I downloaded the appropriate GTK dev package, and ran make gconfig. It worked, and it opened up a new window with a GUI interface that I didn't know what to do with. So I just closed it. There were no errors.

How do I verify that I've got my modules again without having to reboot and discover the hard way?

Sorry for my cluelessness, but by bootloader, do you mean GRUB? Or something else?
GRUB, if that's what you have. The kernel package automatically updates
the grub files (after asking), but it's usually a good idea to check
this manually, unless you like using the rescue cd.

Some stuff to read:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=43065
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
Wow... I feel so completely out of my depth now. I totally don't get why I'm rebuilding and making custom kernels just to get this one piece of hardware working. Especially as it worked before.

At this point I'm just kind of scared of the damage I may have done and the potential that if I reboot my computer will explode and send shrapnel through my neck.

Is there any way to dumb this down a bit so that I can go in two steps:

1. Make sure my computer won't self destruct and take every piece of data I've ever loved with it.

2. Make Xawtv access my TV tuner card the way it used to in the good old days?

--
Dave M G