Re: [tlug] Dmesg error output

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:49:39 +0900
Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> There is no ivtv-source package in the repositories.
Oops, sorry. Thought that ubuntu had all what debian has, but obviously
not.
Debian has this package though:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/ivtv-source
Download this, then
# cd /usr/src
# dpkg -i ivtv-source...deb

> What I've been
> doing up until now and hoping will still apply using your directions is
> the ivtv source tar packages from the IVTV homepage.
The ivtv source in debian is packaged so that a binary deb can be built
from it. It's not the same as the upstream source package!!

> dave@example.com:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15$ sudo make gconfig
> *
> * Unable to find the GTK+ installation. Please make sure that
> * the GTK+ 2.0 development package is correctly installed...
> * You need gtk+-2.0, glib-2.0 and libglade-2.0.
You need gtk development stuff for gconfig. If you don't want to configure
your kernel and want to use the distribution's defaults, then you can
probably skip this step (or run make kconfig, or make menuconfig, or make
config, whatever you like).

> I was able to blow away almost everything in /lib/modules with 2.6.15 in
> it's name, except one seemingly empty directory:
Well I hope you didn't wipe all the modules without a working kernel. If
the kernel package didn't build, how would you have rebooted without
any modules?!

> rm: cannot remove directory `/lib/modules/2.6.15-25-686/volatile':
> Device or resource busy
> Is that going to be a problem? Or is that good enough?
I have no idea what this is.

> > and then
> > install the packages with dpkg -i. Make sure the bootloader was
> > updated and reboot.
> >
> I clearly haven't got to this stage yet, but how do I make sure a
> bootloader is updated?
If you don't have a kernel built, obviously this doesn't make sense.

> Sorry for my cluelessness, but by bootloader, do
> you mean GRUB? Or something else?
GRUB, if that's what you have. The kernel package automatically updates
the grub files (after asking), but it's usually a good idea to check
this manually, unless you like using the rescue cd.

Some stuff to read:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=43065
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html