Re: [tlug] Dmesg error output

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:59:25 +0900
Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> So I went back to redo the whole process of installing ivtv, as per the
> instructions on this page:
> http://s91928265.onlinehome.us/hfamily/mythtv/myth_ubuntu.html

The page title says "Installing MythTV on Ubuntu 5.10", yet the steps are
not the traditional debian/ubuntu way. With 'make install' you will have
files under /lib that you need to clean up by hand. I never had to edit a
makefile for compiling modules and I don't understand why this should be
necessary here with the prepackaged ivtv source.

> What can I do to clean the pipes out enough to get the working system
> back up again?

Note that I don't have an ivtv setup, but this should work for all
modules in general. Here are the steps to follow:
# cd /usr/src
# apt-get install linux-source-2.6.16 ivtv-source
# tar jxvf linux-source-2.6.16.tar.bz2
# tar jxvf ivtv-source.tar.bz2
# cd linux-source-2.6.16
# make gconfig
configure the kernel
# make-kpkg kernel_image
# make-kpkg modules_image
Now you should have a kernel and an ivtv deb package.
Make sure to remove all the old drivers and kernels installed by hand in
your previous attempts (rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.16-xxxxx) and then
install the packages with dpkg -i. Make sure the bootloader was
updated and reboot.