Re: [tlug] auto-shutdown at certain temp, testing, and CF boot

Joe Larabell wrote:
>>> This may go without saying and may not be relevant here, but I feel it's a good idea on a Raid 1 to mirror the boot partitions also.
>>>
>> You should do the same with a raid 5, but I you will need to let it
>> rebuild in-between each drive removal.  The alternative to boot
>> partition mirroring is to use a compact flash IDE device to boot off.
>> This can have the added advantage of hardware write protection.
>>

> Maybe I'm missing something.

I figured it made more sense to explain the two suggestions rather then
directly answer the points you made because the answers should become
apparent.

PROBLEM

Making a system with a 3 disk RAID5 array bootable in the even of disk
failure.

METHOD 1

Create a partition on the start of all three drives and RAID1 mirror the
partitions[1].  Setup this RAID1 partition as your boot partition[2].
You may also have to setup you BIOS to boot from the first recognized drive.

METHOD 2

Get an IDE flash card[3] place it on your first IDE port and put your
boot[4] partition and MBR on it.  You will need to setup the BIOS to
boot from this IDE flash card.

1. Partitions in a RAID1 mirrors can be directly booted from grub, lilo etc.
2. You will also need to install a MBR on each drive.
3. This is the purely and example, I have not used this particular
device http://www.psism.com/flashdrive.htm
4. Boot partitions are mostly read-only so good flash memory should have
a greater MTBF

Edward Middleton