Re: [tlug] My first PVR project - advice will not be distained

On Jun 13, 2006, at 11:13, Joshua Eli Bearden wrote:

My first obstacle has been the V-gear Speed-TV tuner card
that my friend gave me in a swap. Though it shows up as an
SAA7133 Philips Semiconductor chip on lspci  and lsmod shows
that an SAA7134 driver (which is supposed to handle all
SAA713x chips) is loaded.  I cannot get any further response
from the card.

Have you tried all of the (many!) card/tuner options in your modprobe.conf?

I bought a Keian JH-TV7131R for under Y4000 at my neighborhood shop [1]. It took a lot of Googling and experimenting to discover that
  options saa7134 card=65 tuner=54
seems to work. And that the card is a variant of the Kworld TV Terminator. Even after finding the Kworld clue, it took some trial- and-error with several card/tuner combinations until I found the one that worked with this particular implementation.

I haven't been able to get the IR receiver working. And the tuner does not appear to cover the BS-analog downconverter I/F frequency, so I end up using the tuner in the VCR if I want to record BS. Simultaneous software encoding/decoding with mencoder/mplayer works fine in the 2.4GHz P4 cube that is under the TV. ffmpeg and transcode help with making VCDs and small versions that I can fetch from bandwidth starved countries.

--
Jim Tittsler  7J1AJH/AI8A                            GPG: 0x01159DB6
Ringo MUG Meeting Friday, 16 June  http://www.ringo.net/