Re: [tlug] auto-shutdown at certain temp, testing, and CF boot

> ... I began by
> setting up a raid 5 array on 3 SATA drives, then created the volume
> group and creating the logical volumes for each mount point. However I
> suddenly remembered that I did not have a spare IDE drive to install
> the /boot partition into, and I needed all 3 SATAs for that raid5 array,
> so I couldn't complete the install.

I've never setup a raid 5 but I did set up a raid 1 once on matching
partitions made up of exactly half of each of the drives on which the
partitions were located. Assuming that works for raid 5 also, you might be
able to slice off a few MB off the low end of one of the SATA disks for a
boot partition. You may have to do the same for all three drives (raid 1,
if I recall right, prefers identical partitions for the mirror -- raid 5
may be more forgiving if the partitions sizes don't match). If you need
identical partitions for the raid array, slice off the same size small
partition from every disk and use the other two slices for something that
doesn't require the redundancy of raid.

BTW, you probably need a swap partition anyway. Use one of the three
slices for swap, one for /boot, one for some other purpose and hook the
remaining larger paritions on each of the three disks to the raid array.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org                     for thou art crunchy
                                  and goest well with cheese.