Re: [tlug] JIS X 0212? Any example "mixed charset" pages?

Hi Jim,

> "Michael(tm) Smith" <smith@example.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anybody have examples of non-UTF-8 web pages that mix
> >> Japanese characters with European accented characters? If so, what
> >> encoding do they use?
>
> I have a sample page with some JIS X 0212 kanji and accented characters
> at: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wip.html

Thanks. It helps to have something to real to test with.
By the way, why does it have the "You are/are not using Opera."
line (just asking out of curiosity).

> >> My (very limited) understanding of Japanese
> >> encodings leads me to believe that the way they are likely to be
> >> encoded (if there are actually any of them in the wild) is in
> >> EUC-JP, and that they would need to assume JIS X 0212 support in
> >> whatever browser is use to view the pages.
>
> Not so. Practically no-one on the planet uses JIS X 0212 characters
> in EUC-encapsulated text in WWW pages. The reason is
> <drumroll>IE doesn't support the full EUC-JP</drumroll>.

Yep, that's what I've heard. Nevertheless, some other browsers do
actually seem to support it. I tested your page in Firefox 1.5 and
Konqueror 3.5, and both of them display the JIS212 characters on
your page correctly.

  --Mike