[tlug] Starting a program when logging in

TLUG,

I've made some progress in getting my remote control and TV card to work in Ubuntu. If I run "irexec" at the command line, I can open and operate various programs.

The thing is, I want to have irexec start when I log in. I'm sure it's simple, but I can't quite get my head around what to do.

Some internet research, and also discussion on the LIRC mailing list, has got me to where I understand that the program should be started after X windows starts, and that there are files in the process like gdm.conf and inittab.

But it doesn't seem to be as easy as putting "irexec" into some file and having it execute. And I know nothing of the kinds of scripting languages involved, so I'm at a loss as to what I should be looking for.

Isn't there just some start up script or folder where I can add in the command I want running in the background?

--
Dave M G