Re: [tlug] Off-topic: Dictionaries

Michael Engel wrote:

> What functions do you use with online dictionaries

OK, besides the completely obvious stuff

   Given a Chinese character, look up details on that character.

      Meanings
      Pronunciation
      Number of brush strokes
      Radical
      Its number for learning in school
      Animated drawing to show brush strokes

      show some of the more prominent/common words that use
      that character, i.e., example words
      (I have a paper book for this, but don't
      see this in on-line dictionaries)

   Given a pronunciation, list all the Chinese characters
   that can be pronounced that way.

   For a selected word,

      show examples using the word, for more meaning and grammar clues
      play recordings of correct pronunciation

         the online dictionaries I use are meant to help
         non-English speakers learn English, so they have
         recordings of the English words, but not of the
         native words.

      to indicate what _kind_ of a word it is (i.e., verb, noun)
      what is obvious to a native, ain't to me

I would like to see the etymology of the word,
like is common in English dictionaries.

It would be nice for folks to be able to modify the contents, like Wiktionary.
There are explanations and especially pronunciations for
English words that are just plain wrong, and that wrong
pronunciation has become standard. I'd love to correct these
rediculous formalized errors.

On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:37:44 +0900 Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:

> find a compound of known length containing a known kanji in a specific
> position.  Fuzzy matches for easily mistaken kanji.

Amen brother.

Regexes would be _very_ nice.

Also, how would one say all the two syllable words,
specifying the beginning consonant, and ending vowel?
That might be one of the few places where romanization
is superior to the native script.

Of course, I'd like to see the code for the on-line dictionaries
to be open-source, to be usable with open source browsers,
and for the data to be freely available also.
(Now we're back on-topic)

Jim