Re: [tlug] Accessing microphone (was a bunch of other topics about sound and modules) [SOLVED]

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:01:03 +0900, Dave M G <martin@example.com>
wrote:

> ALSA is the more modern one and I should just focus on that.

While true for most people, it isn't *always* true for everyone.

I, for example, simply cannot use ALSA.

One of the things I do frequently is to rework DVD-Videos. I have a
set-top DVD recorder with which I record something off the TV onto a
DVD+RW. I then import the data onto the PC, clip the movie and boost the
audio a little, and then record onto a DVD+R, putting the DVD+RW back
into circulation for the next recording.

If I use ALSA, it introduces a 200ms delay in the sound channel. I can
compensate for that while multiplexing the audio and video back
together, but when playing back the resulting DVD on a set-top box the
sound is obviously advanced by 200ms WRT the image.

If, OTOH, I use OSS, what I get on the PC is what I get on the set-top
DVD player. OSS does not add this 200ms delay.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Q: Why is Christmas just like a day at the office?