[tlug] Microphone Works, But is Quiet (Re: Accessing microphone (back to actual microphone issues))

Dave M G wrote:

> The mike is actually picking up sound, but I basically have to swallow
> the mike and shout to record anything.

What kind of mike do you have? Electret? Condensor? Dynamic? Piezo?
How many contacts does its connector have?

> It seems to me I still have no control over it's gain.

There is a kind of microphone that has a very small output signal
which requires great amplification. There is also often an option
to increase the input amplification by some amount, like by +20dB.
Grope around and look for some kind of on/off option for increasing
the input amplification by something like +20dB. The option might
be in a mixer program, or in Audacity, or both, or could even be
in some other program.

Gain is how much amplification one has.

Jim