Re: [tlug] Accessing microphone

Josh, Godwin,

Thank you guys for replying and explaining things.

Here is the conversation I just had with Ubuntu:

dave@example.com:~$ su -
Password:
su: Authentication failure
Sorry.
dave@example.com:~$ generate-modprobe.conf | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.conf
bash: generate-modprobe.conf: command not found
Password:
dave@example.com:~$ generate-modprobe.conf > /tmp/modprobe.conf
bash: generate-modprobe.conf: command not found
dave@example.com:~$ locate modprobe.conf
/lib/linux-sound-base/noALSA.modprobe.conf
/lib/linux-sound-base/noOSS.modprobe.conf
/usr/share/doc/module-init-tools/examples/generate-modprobe.conf.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/modprobe.conf.5.gz
dave@example.com:~$ sudo -s
root@example.com:~# generate-modprobe.conf > /etc/modprobe.conf
bash: generate-modprobe.conf: command not found
root@example.com:~# exit
exit
dave@example.com:~$

Basically, I was willing to try all of your advice, from both Josh and Godwin, and it seems that: 1. To get a root account on Ubuntu, one uses sudo -s, not su -. Found that out on the web.
2. generate-modprobe.conf doesn't exist as a command anyway.
3. I looked up generate-modprove.conf on the web, and it's part of the module-init-tools package. I do have that installed, so I don't know why it's not available to me.

(deep sigh)

So, what exactly am I trying to do here with this generate-modprobe.conf anyway. Make the drivers I just installed work, or remove them?

--
Dave M G