[tlug] ispell replacement that will handle unicode (long o in Japanese )

I love ispell, especially the easy way it can be invoked from emacs. But it chokes on my unicode diacritics, like long o and u in Japanese romanization.

I have been stumbling along using spell check in Mozilla composer to spot the error and going back to emacs to change it. What a pain.

Is there some way to do this in emacs, or at least from a command line. It would be nice if it would also automatically skip kanji and markup (anything in < > like ispell does.)

Thanks folks,

David Riggs, Kyoto