Re: [tlug] Accessing microphone

On 08/05/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

dave@example.com:~$ amixer set "Input Gain" 100
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Input Gain',0

That is unfortunate. Looking back through your amixer output, I don't
see anything that looks like it controls gain. What kind of sound card
do you have?

Is this not the same as using the GUI, or alsamixer (which has a
DOS-style GUI within the terminal) to crank up the volume? Or am I
confusing volume and gain?

Volume and gain are two different beasts. Volume only applies to
playback. Gain can be thought of as how hard your mic is listening for
input. I am sure Jim or someone who knows a bit more basic physics
than I do can elaborate. :)

-Josh