Re: [tlug] Accessing microphone

Josh,

Thank you for helping.
Try this:
amixer set Mic 100 capture mute
Does recording work now?
Actually, I can't really say for sure if it's working or not now. But at least it seems to be a step in the right direction.

What's happened is that in both Audacity and gnome-sound-recorder, I tried recording my voice, and got no measurable response.

But then I noticed - and verified with much experimentation - that there is sound being picked up on the microphone and outputted again through speakers or headphones, but it's just incredibly light.

It's almost inaudible, but if I wear headphones and tap the mike with my hand underneath the table (so I don't hear it directly), I just barely hear it in the left channel (the mike is mono).

Unless I'm completely mistaken about how audio hardware works, this could be just leakage from the microphone channel.

Or, the microphone is working on some level, but it's just not being amplified properly.

What do you think?

PS: Josh, I just made the mental connection that you are responsible for the Rikaichan port to Thunderbird. Great work there - I'm finding it incredibly useful.

--
Dave M G