Re: [tlug] Linux Filesystems Comparison Article

On 木, 2006-04-27 at 23:13 -0700, Alain Hoang wrote:

I have had similar problems with my Gentoo system running xfs.

> Some options I'm thinking of
> 1. Copy all important data I care about, take inventory of installed
> pacakges, and reinstall from scratch)
> 2. Untar a stage 3 over the current dead system and try to rebuild
> things in place (sounds utterly risky and jumping into an inconsistent
> state)

This has worked for me in the past, at least enough for me to back up my
data before a complete reinstall. Untar the stage 3 file, and then do
emerge system

> 3. See if I can rebuild the relevant system libraries somehow and
> merge them into the system and see if that gets me limping along just
> enough to emerge world

In principle, emerge system; emerge -e world
will completely restore your system to its original state, but I've had
little luck with this.

Good luck.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=-=- s-luppescu <AT> uchicago <DOT> edu
CCSR at U of C ,.;-*^*-;.,  www.consortium-chicago.org