Re: [tlug] Installing Windows after installing Linux

Botand,

Thank you for helping.

Botond Botyanszki wrote:
Anyway, I think /etc/vmware is still around, remove it.
After deleting that directory, and installing from the .tar file, I succeeded in getting the virtual machine to work.

Pretty neat, actually. I have Windows XP installed and running within a window in my Ubuntu desktop.

But, it seems kind of limited. While I don't expect to run games or anything, is it unreasonable to be able to access all the peripherals of my machine through this virtual Windows thing?

For example, one of the reasons I needed to install Windows was to be able to install and run the Canon application that accesses the CD printing function of my Canon printer.

The interface of the Vmplayer shows a "USB Canon ip3100" listed as one of the devices attached. Yet when I try to install the printer driver, it seems to only list serial and parallel ports as options to look for printers. No USB options are present.

I don't expect to get into a big tutorial on using VMplayer here. But as a concept, is this really a virtual machine that runs my whole computer when it's on, or is it dependent on what peripheral access Linux can hand over to it? For example, if my printer doesn't work in Linux, which it doesn't, does that mean it won't work in the virtual environment either?

--
Dave M G