Re: [tlug] Installing Windows after installing Linux

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:39:16PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> Scott,
>
> Thank you for replying.

Yes, but it doesn't seem it helped.  (Unless, of course, it helped you
understand the syntax.)  :)

> Anyway, I've now edited my menu.list file as per your instructions and
> web site. What I have is:
> title        Windows XP
> rootnoverify    (hd1,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> But when I select to boot XP, it does nothing except display what it
> says in the menu.ls file:
> Booting "Windows XP"
>
> rootnoverify    (hd1,0)
> chainloader +1

The only thing I see is that there seems to be an extra space between
rootnovery and the (hd1,0).  However, I don't think that would cause a
problem (though I could be wrong, I haven't used grub in awhile.)

However, I've always used

rootnoverify (hd1,0), that is, with only one space (usually called white
space) between the rootnoverify and the (hd1,0).

> My suspicision is that this is an issue with Windows being unhappy with
> not being on the prime hard drive. But before I jump to that conclusion,
> do I have the syntax right?

That could be, but I was under the impression that XP could boot from
the second drive.  (Once again, I could be wrong.)

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Harmony: How are you gonna kill her? Think! The second you even
point that thing at her, you're gonna be all 'Aaagh!' (holding
her hand to her head in imitation of Spike), and then you'll get
bitch-slapped up and down Main Street, unless she's finally had
enough and just stakes you!
Spike: Sure, it'll hurt like hell for about two hours. But she'll
be dead just a little longer than that.