Re: [tlug] Number Your Feathers (Re: Printer Not Responding)

Jim <jep200404@example.com> writes:
> So what color is Foghorn's skin?

Uh... No idea.

> Evan Monroig wrote:
>> Jim <jep200404@example.com> writes:
>> > You are missing the step that says to number your feathers.
>>
>> What do you mean? (really I don't understand)
>
> It's derived from a quote from Foghorn Leghorn:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foghorn_Leghorn
>
> Foghorn would get into the losing end of a fight,
> in which all his feathers would be ripped out.
> After the fight, he would have to put each feather
> back where it came from, which is easier to do if
> each feather is numbered.
>
> In the context of TLUG, "number your feathers" means to do
> backups or prepare other contingencies for when bad things
> happen.

Thanks for the explanation !!

Actually I thought (and that has been my experience) that it is quite
easy to revert changes with apt-get if anything goes wrong. Maybe that
would not be the case if the change pulls packages up to libc?

Anyway, thanks for the lesson. Seeing the reply of Stephen Turnbull, it
seems to be enough to make a dry-run first (?).

Evan