Re: [tlug] Linux in Japan

On 4/22/06, Kentaro Waki <zae26305@example.com> wrote:

> The DistroWatch has issued an article about Linux in Japan recently.
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060417#report
>
> It is pessimistic especially on individual adoption.
>
> What is your impression about Linux in Japan ?

Thanks for pointing out that article.  It was a good read and well
written I think.  A few comments.

1) The reference to the pink cherry blossoms and gray suits of working
men and women in Tokyo in April was interesting, but the author
probably doesn't know about the armies of young college graduates
going around to interviews and whatnot in April!  They always wear the
standard "Interview Uniform" of gray - looking for your first serious
job here is no time to be showing fashion after all!

2) The comparison between the two Linux distributions seems accurate
as far as I can tell.  I've been able to get more people here
interested in Linux by showing them glossy and professional looking
brochures from Turbo Linux than by mentioning any other distribution
that is free.  "Free" seems to chase people away, not attract them!
     "Brand" is a fearsome power in Japan!  If Turbo Linux can create
a desired "Brand" of Linux, then more people will be interested.
People can be burned time and again (and they are!) by Brand-W, but
they keep coming back for more when they see those shiny boxes and TV
     I've met too  many people (here and outside Japan) who have had
one try at using Linux and they don't seem to consider the possibility
(and reality) that it's gotten better since they tried it.

3) Support.  Yes, we have better support here on TLUG than in many
(most?) Brand-W situations, but the nature of that support is highly
offensive at times to some non-technical people (cough-cough), so for
many, paying a little for someone to be sitting in an office ready to
politely answer a phone call for help is well worth the money.  Turbo
Linux Fuji is about Y14,000 - which is not excessive for something as
important as a proper OS.

Ijo de gozaru!

Lyle