Re: [tlug] Laptop/notebook PC recommendations?

Hi,

If we try most recent machines, we may face the trouble with
SATA driver and CD/DVD  drives. Same is also on my IBM desktop w/ Debian.

T60 Centrino Duo use 945PM express chipset which support SATA AHCI.
Because recent linux distro enables SATA support in default,
you may want to enable DVD/CD support on SATA at boot time.

For kernel 2.6.14 and newer: enable ATAPI support in the SATA system
using libata.atapi_enabled=1 as kernel boot option. This option is
still experimental
but useful.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux
This wiki may helps you.