Re: [tlug] Whoops... messed up home directory permissions

> But when I logged in, it told me that my home directory should not be
> readable or write-able by everyone, and that I should set the
> permissions to 644.

On a directory? Hmmm...

The permissions go:

-rwxrwxrwx
       ^^^other
    ^^^group
 ^^^user

On a directory, the 'x' bit allows you to 'cd' to the directory.

so 644, or 0110100100, allows read/write but you can't 'cd' there (not
even the owner.

> What permissions settings is my home directory supposed to have? And how
> do I set it?

If you're the only user, try 755. If you want to keep others out of your
$HOME, try 750. In any case, you need that leading '7' in order to have
full access to your home directory.

--
Joe Larabell -- Synopsys VCS Support      US: larabell@example.com
http://wwwin.synopsys.com/~larabell/   Japan: larabell@???