Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding

Stephen,

Thank you for helping out.

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Open source drivers, where they are available, are
almost always better than vendor drivers.
Canon's driver site is pretty awful, at least the part that I found.
Not even an 00INDEX.TXT to let you know which files are appropriate.
Not sure which site you found, but this is the one I've been using:
ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/
The files necessary are:
bjfilter-common-2.50-2.i386.rpm
bjfilter-pixusip3100-2.50-2.i386.rpm
bjfilter-pixusip3100-lprng-2.50-2.i386.rpm

By the way, when I was looking up these files, I reviewed the set up instructions that I had followed in my initial attempt to install the printer. I came across the command "printconf", and for amusement's sake I ran it. I got this error:

dave@example.com:~$ sudo printconf
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x08179528 ***
Unable to read printer database.  Please ensure the "foomatic-db" package is
installed properly.

I went to Synaptic and according to that, I do have foomatic-db installed.

I don't recall having this error before. In fact, looking back on this thread, this was the output I reported before:

dave@example.com:~$ sudo printconf
Printer on usb:/dev/usblp0 was not automatically configurable by Debian.
Please submit the following information to foomatic-db@example.com:
<autodetect>
<usb>
  <commandset>BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe</commandset>
  <description>Canon iP_3100</description>
  <manufacturer>Canon</manufacturer>
  <model>iP_3100</model>
</usb>
</autodetect>

So something has changed between then and now. I guess. Maybe.

It's generally a good idea to find out what hardware has open source
drivers before you buy.
The printer was purchased long before the decision to switch to Linux, so that was not an option. In any case, had I learned that Canon provided Linux drivers, I don't think it would have been an insane decision to assume the printer would work.

Most importantly, let's not forget that on the old computer, with Ubuntu 5.10, the printer worked perfectly. So the problem has (?) to be either an error in how I set it up the second time, or a bug within Ubuntu 6.04, or something of that nature. I can't imagine a reason why the drivers would now suddenly be to blame.

--
Dave M G