Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding

Josh,

Thanks for continuing to help.

Josh Glover wrote:
Please show us the output of:
sudo find /dev -name usblp0 | xargs sudo ls -l
dave@example.com:~$ sudo find /dev -name usblp0 | xargs sudo ls -l
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 180, 0 2006-04-17 18:21 /dev/usblp0

The convention for inline replies
(the sort that we encourage, nay, require, on TLUG) is to start your
reply with a line like:
"On 16/04/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:"
...Doesn't your
email client have an option to automatically start replies with an
attribution line?
Yes, and I was stripping it out in order to keep my responses as clean as possible. I do try and edit for simple readability, but I will leave that in from now on.

Well, those "backslashes" are actually *front*slashes. :)
Sorry. I'm left handed, so I saw them the other way around.

Just kidding. I just always forget which way is which.

And yes,
that is correct for a file URI. Just as for an HTTP URI, the protocol
is identified by the characters before the "://", and the rest is the
resource identifier. So "http://www.tlug.jp"; actually means: "use the
HTTP protocol to connect to the www.tlug.jp resource". And
"file:///dev/usblp0" means, "use the file protocol to connect to the
/dev/usblp0 resource".
I understand completely now, thank you for explaining. I was pretty sure it was something like that, as I'm familiar with HTTP protocols from doing web design. But I wasn't confident that CUPS and all the other players in this printer drama were all playing by the same rules.

If we are lucky, this is just a permissions problem. CUPS is a
notorious pain in the arse when it doesn't "just work", because it
often does not give any indication what the problem is.
It's actually encouraging to hear that the problem isn't just because I'm clueless.

--
Dave M G