Re: [tlug] Apologies

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 00:56 +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> The point I was trying to make is that a clear up-front and honest
> e-mail on the list would have been a more friendly way of accomplishing
> the same thing.

Jim actually explained things to me in a very friendly way and is
encouraging me to write more.  And from what I understand after reading
the 2 links he recommended--which are both very well written and
helpful, actually entertaining in some parts--it is considered more
polite and gentle to tell the person off list in a private email that
they screwed up, rather than publicly, which might humiliate them.  So
his approach was consonant with the recommendations in those links.  The
article made sense to me.  I only mentioned it because I saw what he
did--going out of his way to teach me how to use this valuable resource
in a responsible way--as a contribution, and I wanted to give him credit
for it.  He privately educated me, but I figured that, as long as I was
apologizing, I should publicly thank him, give credit where it's due.

But I didn't mean to make an issue out of it.

>I mean...come on!  Let's be more friendly!

Lyle, I appreciate your concern and I do feel thankful for your
encouragement all along, but I'm okay.  I've been feeling overwhelmed
the last few days, but that is mainly because there are just so many
choices and so much to learn before I can go shopping.

By the way, User's Side was not able to give me an estimate.  They said
they couldn't do it for 150,000 yen or less, so I guess they are indeed
high end.  Lesson:  I've got to do the foot work myself.  Or order a
pre-installed system from overseas.

Thanks.
Joe