Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

Edward Middleton wrote:

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

You can set a computer with a Japanese keyboard to English keyboard setting though - and then the few keys that are different will be where your touch-typing fingers expect them to be.

The problems occurs when you set your keyboard to English, and all the
other keyboards you use are Japanese and on other peoples machines,
where changing the keyboard is not such a realistic option, but if that
is not your situation chose whichever works for you best.

Basically, the situation I am sometimes in where I do most of my work on
my own machine and from time to time have a machine set aside for me to
work on for a certain block of time, during which I change the settings
to English, even thought it's actually a Japanese keyboard (with
touch-typing, my fingers don't notice the difference except for
sometimes bumping into those bloody extra keys).  As you mention, if you
have to go from machine to machine to machine to machine, then it's not
practical to change the settings all the time and at such frequent
intervals.  But... even so, it doesn't take so long to change the
settings and doesn't take so long to set them back after you're finished
either....

Lyle