Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

Jim Tittsler wrote:

On Apr 14, 2006, at 00:34, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

ther news - I asked around to see if I could get a better-designed
socket-754 motherboard and everyone looked at me sadly like "What time
machine did you step out of buddy?" and said they didn't have anything
(although one store was selling some socket-754 chips still).
Ask better places. :-) The Turion 64 has kept some socket 754 motherboards available, and even caused a couple of manufacturers to offer newer revisions with more up-to-date LAN/audio support. An interesting choice if power consumption/quiet cooling is important.

Users Side, T-Zone, and TwoTop all have socket 754 motherboards.

Thanks! I did wander into T-Zone, but after the responses I received at the other places, I didn't ask, but just looked at the boards they have in the display case at the back, which were newer designs. I'll look into this some more; as the current applications I'm running don't require cutting edge technology, I'd just as soon put that CPU to use. The issue of lower power consumption and requiring less cooling I hadn't even thought of - thanks for pointing that out!

Lyle