Re: [tlug] Linux compatible motherboards

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

Joseph Essertier wrote:

Anyway, I found User's Side's phone number just now and called them to
just see how easy it would be to get something workable from them.  It
doesn't hurt to ask, right?  They're going to give me an estimate and
info about what they could sell me in my price range.  If it's really
easy, and they cost just a little more, I'll probably buy from them.
Keep us posted on how that goes, because I'm still going to be in the market for new equipment even if (when?) I get that old custom box of mine straighted out.

By the way, regarding your question about used boxes "Although one thing I wondered before was in Japan don't you also have to pay a sizable sum to throw the darn thing away?" - while I can't exactly advocate it, some people break apart old equipment into small pieces and dispose of the plastic bits with other plastic, the metal bits with other metal, etc. in the regular trash. The problem with this route of course, is the circuit board, which contains some very nasty substances for landfills. Sometimes used dealers will take an old one off your hands when you're buying another one from them, but not always.

My Japanese friends and family don't have as much tolerance for "waste"
as I do (=in this case if I bought a box and some of its functions did
not work, that would be defined as waste and failure. While such
"failure" wouldn't bother me at all.  I see such things as part of the
process.  But all eyes are on me, the "pioneer" or the "nerd" or the
"hen na gaijin."  Being a pioneer is not a big goal for me, but that's
how I'm seen.

Ha-ha! I know exactly what you mean! I have family using Linux on an old NEC (that has been running continuously for something like eight months now, due to the boot-up problem I mentioned earlier with it insisting on trying to boot from - and only from - the floppy drive) and after the last upgrade from SuSE 9.1 to 9.3, I've become a little nervous about making any major changes to that. Use of my equipment on the other hand, I definitely view as including some failures of one sort or another. But this is part of the allure of the multi-box setup - with a dedicated test computer, I can fearlessly test different versions of Linux, etc. on it and the outcome is irrelevant to the other boxes in regular use. But if you buy a stack of computers, I'm sure your family will think you've gone crazy, so that's not a good suggestion I suppose! I myself look at my stack of old machines and shake my head "What am I doing..." but they have definitely be useful.

Some day I'd like to be able to have some understanding of
the individual parts of the machine and be able to replace or add parts
as needed.

Now this is a very strong argument in favor of a custom box! Standard boxes from assembly lines are generally not very friendly towards changing parts, and tend to have limited BIOS settings, etc. If you like customizing, then definitely go custom! (If space is an issue though, you can get tidier packaging with an assembly line box.)

Lyle