Re: [tlug] Linux compatible motherboards

> So - yes, I think you should buy a new computer, but this also reminds
> me of another advantage to used computers.  Granted, except for one of
> those, I don't need them to be game-capable, so just about anything on
> the market from P-III on works fine for the applications I use.
>
> Lyles.

Yes.  Your strategy with used computers makes a lot of sense to me.  A
year or two ago I was seriously thinking of buying a used computer,
partly because of what I had heard in fact about your success with them.
I went to a few used computer stores and checked them out, but the low
prices of the new equipment caught my eye, and I wound up not buying
anything.  I got Ubuntu installed on our old iMac, which I was about to
throw away, and it became a handy machine once again.  And until
recently I didn't _really_ need a new box, so I waited a little longer
like a good boy.

I also don't need anything fancy.  I especially like the idea that if
you fail, you're only out like \10,000, and you can just go back and
pick up another model.  (Although one thing I wondered before was in
Japan don't you also have to pay a sizable sum to throw the darn thing
away?  Or do you get the store to take it back, and then buy your next
one at the same store?)

Anyway, I found User's Side's phone number just now and called them to
just see how easy it would be to get something workable from them.  It
doesn't hurt to ask, right?  They're going to give me an estimate and
info about what they could sell me in my price range.  If it's really
easy, and they cost just a little more, I'll probably buy from them.

My Japanese friends and family don't have as much tolerance for "waste"
as I do (=in this case if I bought a box and some of its functions did
not work, that would be defined as waste and failure. While such
"failure" wouldn't bother me at all.  I see such things as part of the
process.  But all eyes are on me, the "pioneer" or the "nerd" or the
"hen na gaijin."  Being a pioneer is not a big goal for me, but that's
how I'm seen.  I'm sure you and other TLUG people can relate.  More
important is have a nice box that works, not being forced to give lots
of money to a certain big corporation, and contributing to this open
source project in some way.  But with everyone thinking that you have to
give money to that corporation, or at least to the other one with 2% of
the market, every time you buy a computer, and with their eyes on me,
I'd like to be able to say, "No you don't.  I paid less than you, got a
better machine with fewer problems, and the only difference between you
and me, is that I thought a little bit more before buying").  So at this
early stage there is less room for "failure."  Plus, it would be nice to
be able to edit photos, and maybe even video.  There is probably used
stuff out there that could do that, but it would take me awhile to find
it, and the savings wouldn't be that great, would they?

I read the message just after this one too.  Thanks.

The last few days of responses from everyone has helped me to think
through what should be considered, and what the options are for a newbie
like me.  I have a better sense of where I need to go, too, in terms of
learning.  Some day I'd like to be able to have some understanding of
the individual parts of the machine and be able to replace or add parts
as needed.
Joe