Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding

TLUG,

I went and completely re-installed CUPS in hopes of getting a fresh start, which changed some of the error output. I also posted this information to the CUPS mailing list, although it seems actually that there's no real traffic there. A few people seeking help and almost no one answering.

So, to recap the situation:

I have a Canon Pixus iP3100, and Ubuntu Linux, Dapper Drake 6.04. This printer used to be attached to an older computer with Ubuntu Breezy Badger 5.10, and worked flawlessly when printing from CUPS. However, after upgrading the computer, and following the same installation procedure, the printer no longer works.

After re-installing CUPS, I installed the printer using the CUPS interface. I used the custom PPD file created following the instructions of the site. The printer was connected to my USB port and turned on when I installed it.

When I click to print a test page, the printer does not respond in any way.

In the CUPS interface, the status changes to "stopped". The "State" of the print job remains "pending" indefinitely. If I try to cancel the job, it returns the error:
Error
client-error-forbidden

I can, however, press "Cancel all jobs", then all jobs will be purged, and I can restart the printer. However, despite the printer status being started, any attempt to print will recreate the conditions outlined above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have included some output from the various commands that I have come across below. If there is anything else I can do to diagnose or solve this problem, please let me know.

dpkg-reconfigure cupsys
(I did this and went with the default options)

dave@example.com:~$ tail /var/log/cups/error_log
E [13/Apr/2006:01:04:29 +0900] [Job 2] Unable to open USB port device file: No such file or directory
E [13/Apr/2006:01:04:29 +0900] PID 29720 stopped with status 1!
E [13/Apr/2006:01:04:36 +0900] Purge-Jobs: Unauthorized
E [13/Apr/2006:01:04:39 +0900] Resume-Printer: Unauthorized

dave@example.com:~$ lpadmin -p Canon -v /dev/usblp0
lpadmin: File device URIs have been disabled! To enable, see the FileDevice directive in "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf". (I attempted to insert a FileDevice directive in cupsd.conf prior to re-installing CUPS. Other than removing this error, it had no effect on the printer)

dave@example.com:~$ more /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
#
#
#   Sample configuration file for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS)
#   scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a complete description of this
#   file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
# troubleshooting...
LogLevel warning

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup lpadmin
RunAsUser Yes

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
# Listen localhost:631
# Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
# Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @example.com

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
Order allow,deny
Allow localhost
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
Order allow,deny
Allow localhost
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
AuthType Basic
Require user @example.com
Order allow,deny
Allow localhost
</Location>

# Set the default printer/job policies...
<Policy default>
# Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an adminstrator...
<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job
CUPS-Move-Job>
  Require user @example.com @example.com
  Order deny,allow
</Limit>

# All administration operations require an adminstrator to authenticate...
<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @example.com
  Order deny,allow
</Limit>

# Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
<Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
  Require user @example.com @example.com
  Order deny,allow
</Limit>

<Limit All>