Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:09:36 +0900
"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> all-new custom box with parts beginning life under my command. What I'm
> wondering now is what to do with the CPU - is it one I should put to
> work for me or should I shelf it and go for something newer? It's a...
> I'm not sure what - there's the name "Sempron"; the box says "2600+
> Socket 754"; and on the chip it has "AMD 2001"(!), so does that mean
> it's five years old? It can't be that old... can it?

Sorry to say that, but socket 754 is getting obsolete. (The year quoted
above is most probably the design date, not manufacturing date). If you
are collecting old hardware, why don't you try the auctions ;)
Anyway if you want to go AMD, then get a socket 939 mobo that supports
Athlon64-X2 at least. You can plug a cheap processor in it, but this
ensures that you can upgrade later if you need some more CPU horsepower.

Before you go shopping, make a list of your current parts that you'd like
to keep (without having to invest in a new one) and check some online
shops (dospara, whatever) for what's available and pick the ones you
can afford. Visiting asus.com and abit.com will give you a good insight
about what's on market.
Now with the maker-model names, search the web (the maker's site
should suffice) about specifications for compatibility with the parts you
want to keep (memory, video card, hard disk). Then further narrow down
your choices by reading up on reviews, usually best rated stuff tends to
be more expensive, but still worth reading.
Also an issue to look out for is fans on the mobo. If you want a silent PC
(who doesn't?), then get a mobo with heatsinks only. The other is the
layout, if you have a small case (which you seem to have). Check if your
power supply can provide at least 300W, that seems to be necessary lately.

Good luck.