Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

Botond Botyanszki wrote:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:29:43 +0900
"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

And I'm headed in that direction!  Nevertheless, more power in a single
computer doesn't cover the safely net of redundancy.  With a dual
computer setup, everything is backed up - from the OS to the power
supply, to the capacitors, etc.

Yeah, if you have full mirroring set up between your computers. I guess
you didn't mean "if one dies, I'll just press the KVM switch and use the
other". I wouldn't call that redundancy.

Actually, I should have said "multi-computer setup" instead of
"dual-computer setup".  There are two issues here that I didn't set
apart from each other.  One being the isolation of one OS from another
and the other being duplication of the OS, its setup and data.  So,
actually, I *do* mean that if one fails, I just press a different power
button and keep working.  Full daily data backup is another issue, but
the setup of the computer the way I like it is mirrored in a lifeboat
box literally and symbolically sitting atop the general use Linux box.

For most people, data is more valuable than the PC storing it. And using
old junk just puts you closer to the inevitable failure of the thing.

That doesn't sound very polite, but what the heck, we're all rude by
default I guess!  Aside form the recent capacitor issue, the old boxes
working with new hard drives are not so dangerous as you make them out
to be - besides, data backup is another issue and is handled by squeaky
new devices.

Lyle