Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:29:43 +0900
"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> >Now that you can buy fairly beefy PCs that run VMs with sufficient
> >performance, I see more disadvantages in buying a separate PC for the
> >task (i.e. the Lyle-method).
>
> And I'm headed in that direction!  Nevertheless, more power in a single
> computer doesn't cover the safely net of redundancy.  With a dual
> computer setup, everything is backed up - from the OS to the power
> supply, to the capacitors, etc.

Yeah, if you have full mirroring set up between your computers. I guess
you didn't mean "if one dies, I'll just press the KVM switch and use the
other". I wouldn't call that redundancy.
For most people, data is more valuable than the PC storing it. And using
old junk just puts you closer to the inevitable failure of the thing.