Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:45:27 -0400
Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> > And is a 64 bit processor worth the investment
>
> That depends on what you want it for.
>
> My feeble understanding is that the virtualization support I
> mentioned is available only on _some_ of the 64-bit chips.
> It is the virtualization support that could be so handy.
Indeed. EMT64 in intel processors will only work if it has the vanderpool
technology, which only recent ones have.
The AMD product line is fine. This is significant if you want to run a 64
bit OS on your machine in vmware/player for example.

Now that you can buy fairly beefy PCs that run VMs with sufficient
performance, I see more disadvantages in buying a separate PC for the
task (i.e. the Lyle-method).