Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:23:11 +0900
Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:

> Godwin Stewart wrote:
> > Matrox cards are also supported by the kernel and by X as a general rule.
> >
> While I generally agree that Matrox's are good, don't get anything
> slightly different unless you know it has good working drivers.  I got
> burnt with a Matrox g450 eTV because I assumed that the TV functionality
> would be supported by the drivers, Matrox decided that they weren't
> going to support this functionality under Linux.  The end result was
> that TV functionality was only possible if you loaded some hackish
> matrox_fb drivers which conflicted in various ways with the X drivers.
This is really true, I tried to hook up my g450 to a TV when I bought it
and it did require quite some hacking. Now it might work a lot better
without much effort.
Matrox is targeting a different market segment with their
dual-triple-quad headed cards now that they can't compete in 3D.

Anyway, most mobos are PCI-X now, only very few models have AGP. The only
reason I bought an AGP model was because it was cheaper and I could keep
my Matrox (which again saved me some more money for not having to buy a
new video card).

> While I don't like binary drivers, I went with an nvidia for my current
> system because even with no 3D acceleration the card works fine and they
> are cheap.
Nvidia is infamous with its buggy drivers. Another reason to keep my
Matrox :)