Re: [tlug] Running Linux and Windows on a Single Box

Walter Hansen wrote:
Jim wrote:
Viktor Pavlenko wrote:

"J" == Jim  <jep200404@example.com> writes:
J> When Windows is corrupted, it has access to Linux partitions J> and so can in turn corrupt Linux. Any real life examples?
I have never heard of any and do not expect to.
Just to add the 'me too'. I've never heard of Windows turning around and directly corrupting a Linux partition. But now that we've spilled the beans on TLUG, it should only take a few months for those virus writers to start targeting Linux partitions on all dual-boot machines and transferring all bank account information stored on Linux partitions to somewhere in Nigeria. :-)

At least to me corrupted means degraded so as to be destructive to itself. It would be very unlikely for a windows partition to mess up so badly that it messed up a linux partiton. It is remotely possible.
I think Steve Turnbull said it right awhile back on another thread on another topic but still applicable. 0.0000000000000001% chance of happening is still not zero. But since there's a lot of zeroes there, when the problem does happen you can be sure there will be lots of confused faces when it does. (me included) Frankly, I'll worry more about some salary man kamikazing off a building and crushing me while walking the streets of Tokyo. Probabilities are probably similar but the effect is far more damaging on a personal physical scale.

Alain