Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

Joseph Essertier wrote:

I like the layout of English keyboards too, but some of the kana-kanji
conversion keys are lacking and I find it hard to remember where certain
frequently used Japanese symbols are, since they're not written on the
keyboard. I wonder if there is a solution out there for native English
speakers who use Japanese keyboards a lot. I asked a question about this
over a year ago at TLUG, and received some thoughtful responses which I
reflected on later, but I still have not decided which I like more, a
Japanese keyboard or an English one. When I'm typing in English the
English keyboard, and in Japanese the Japanese one. I have both, so I
tend to go back and forth a lot, but it would be nice to have the long
space bar, a small return/enter button (why are they so huge on Japanese
keyboards?!), and all the commonly used Japanese symbols on the keys,
and the unique-to-Japanese keys for conversion, etc.
Then you are using direct hiragana input? Otherwise, if you're inputting Japanese text via romaji, the Japanese symbols on the keys are of no use anyway! Apparently Japanese can be input much more quickly via the direct keys *IF* you learn to touch type with them, but the vast majority of the natives of this country don't do that for the simple reason that if you input via romaji, then you only have to learn how to type with one set of keys. Once you're using romaji for input, the F keys have functions like converting from hiragana to katakana, etc.

For many years I used a Japanese keyboard, but once I realized that there was not one single advantage to it and there were many disadvantages, I switched over to an 101 keyboard that also has - by the way - a huge return key, so that's not only on Japanese keyboards! (Well - it's an English 101 keyboard, but made by Funai, so I guess it *is* a Japanese keyboard, but the only markings are in English.)

Lyle