Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

Joseph Essertier wrote:

> Hello. I need to start working at home, so I'm in the market for a
> GNU/Linux compatible desktop and I'm wondering if there is an easy way
> to find one. It does not need to have Windows on it, but that would be a
> plus.

Start here: http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+hardware+compatibility

Name brand boxes will have more compatibility issues because of
the proprietary lock-in games they play. The best way to go is to
start with a name brand motherboard and build your own box.
However the brand name boxes usually work anyway.

Use Knoppix to check out driver compatibility of a box before you
buy it.

> Here are some other things I'd like to be able to do (my wish list)
> 1. Use my printer with it (Canon Pixux iP4100).

What research have you done about using your printer with Linux?

> 5. A keyboard that is easy on fingers that do a lot of typing

This is highly subjective. Nonetheless, look at:

   http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/

Don't even think of whining about the price.
Also consider old buckling spring IBM keyboards, such as:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9708215547

> ... I found some people saying that they had had trouble getting
> some of the [Dell] hardware to work in Ubuntu/Debian. ...
> Is there a sure way to tell?

Yes, try it.

> Is this where Knoppix comes in handy,

Yes, very much so.

> and one goes to the store with a Knoppix live CD in hand, and actually boots
> up a model computer with the CD?

Yup. That's what I've done after clearing it with the store folks.

> I saw a bare-bones "box" (?) being sold very cheaply at a computer store
> for something like 25,000 yen--just the computer, with no screen,
> keyboard, or mouse; or with any OS installed on it.

No name boxes are usually among the most compatible.
However very cheap boxes might cut enough corners to cause you other grief.

>... he was going to install
> Linux on it. Is that something that a beginning Linux user like me
> should attempt?

Yes.

> And buy the screen separately?

It doesn't matter.

> Any advice about where to go or what decision making process to go
> through would be appreciated.

Google is your friend.