Re: [tlug] Quoting & Listmaster?

On 4/10/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>     Lyle> I don't entirely agree [that there is a copyright problem]
> You're free to disagree, but it's the webmasters and listmasters who
> will take the heat as well as you.  It is unfair to impose that burden
> on them.

Then why didn't they say something?  That's part of what I was
irritated about.  Is Jim a webmaster or listmaster on this list?  I
hadn't thought he was, but he is always acting like he is....

> A complaint of infringement would be sustained, too.  Your quoting was
> well above the "too small to be actionable" level, but *not* fair use;

I may have quoted a little much... but whether it was fair use or not
is open to debate and not so out of bounds to qualify for your "but
*not* fair use" statement.

> there is no reason why you could not have paraphrased, except that it
> would take more effort.

That's rude.  It would have been just as easy to steal the material
and dilute it by rewriting it with meaningless general terms - which
is what many of the sites with that info have done.  Is the writer of
the original really happier to have his/her material stolen and
mutated into junk, or quoted with a link to their full article?  I
would think the later!

>     Lyle> And... um... Are you listmaster?  It seems like you are....
> You're way out of line, Lyle.  Calm down and think about it.

Way out of line?  Is Jim listmaster or is he not?  He is always acting
as though he were.  If he isn't, I put it to you that *he* is out of
line!

>  This is a public mailing list; behavior that affects it affects all of the
> members

Understood.  I don't think something that will bring the lawyers
calling has been done, but I'll be more careful nonetheless!

> Not to mention that you apparently replied on-list to an off-list message.

If both you and Jim are saying it's something that affects everyone on
the list, then - by God - everyone on the list should see the
political messages being sent behind their backs.

>  It is very bad practice to quote at all in such a case,
> although it's not unreasonable for you to ask about list policy, or
> question it when you disagree with it.  It's probably off-topic on
> this list, though; take it to tlug-admin.

Okay - fair enough... I guess.  Back to my question though.  Is Jim
listmaster or is he not?  His primary function on the list seems to be
to attack postings....

Lyle