Re: [tlug] LVM groks JFS and XFS (was Kubuntu 6.06 Seems Good So Far)

Jim wrote:
Alain Hoang wrote:

JFS and XFS as far as I know don't seem to support LVM.

LVM may be used with ext2, ext3, reiserfs, JFS, and XFS.
Ouch! smacked by the pedantic patrol. My comments on JFS and XFS in relation to LVM was outright incorrect. I should do more research before I say anything (or I can continue say things and get them wrong and let the friendly members of TLUG fire arrows my direction). After a little bit more snooping on http://jfs.sourceforge.net it seems that JFS only grows and does not shrink as well. From the Mount Options page:

"JFS only supports growing a volume, not shrinking it."

Okay, now I'm going to claim that you can't shrink your partitions if you use JFS or XFS but that seems to be a limitation of the filesystem rather than LVM. I guess if you want to be insistent on shrinking a non-shrinking filesystem you can resize your PV and watch your partition get VERY VERY unhappy :) If you need the capability to shrink your partitions you're left with ext3 or reiserfs however a recent bad bout with reiserfs has turned me off to reiserfs.

Drink here:
   http://www.colug.net/pipermail/colug432/2006-March/002444.html

If you can remember being on the bus, you weren't there.
I only remember paying the bus fee or perhaps more appropriate... having it shaken out of me. The ride I have no recollection of!

Alain