Re: [tlug] how to input not so often used characters: takashimaya-no-taka

Evan Monroig wrote:

I have 2 computers, one with Mac OS X and one running ubuntu. I tried
to input those characters as I do usually (input the romaji, hit
space, space, space... until you find the correct one), but it didn't
work. On Mac OS X I use whatever is the default kanji input method,
and on ubuntu I use anthy.

Is there a way to input those characters? Of course I could just write
them down, but when all other people's names are printed it is better
to print also those...

Traditionally, people have found such logographs by learning lookup methods such as radical/+stroke, total stroke, or four-corner.

I have a traditional radical table attached to my dictionary at

  http://www.buddhism-dict.net/dealt/index/radical-index.html

and you can find the "takashimaya" logograph at

  http://www.buddhism-dict.net/dealt/index/189.html

Nowadays componentized lookup is becoming possible. The Mojikyo group was the first that I know of that offered an effective component-based lookup program (this is, however, commercial/windows). Jim Breen also has a nice component-based lookup interface at

  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1R

Regards,

Chuck

Charles Muller