Re: [tlug] "Subject:" (The message doesn't need to be in the title....)

On 03/04/06, Evan Monroig <evan.monroig@example.com> wrote:
> "Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> writes:
> > Why put the message in the title?  Are you afraid people are going to
> > delete your message when they see your name and thus you try to get the
> > message into the title to force them to read at least a little of what
> > you want to say before the message is vaporized?
>
> Personnally I understand that. E-mail subject is supposed to give a
> summary of the message body.

Having got into this discussion before with Jim (to no result), I
would argue that the subject is the title of the topic of conversation
and not necessarily a description of the specific message.  Otherwise,
why would mailers put 'Re:' in at all?  In which case, it should
change when the topic changes and not otherwise.

Jim and I differ in our opinions on this.  He tends to change subject
even when giving a direct reply to a question (and use multiple
different subjects when answering different points in different
emails).  I find both intensely irritating...

--
Ian.