[tlug] Subject

What can one say that hasn't already been said?
Let's review the archives before rehashing this all over again.

Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:

> Nothing to do with the subject at hand,

then you should change the "Subject:".

> but I was just wondering if there
> was something hard-wired in your brain that prevents you from replying to a
> message without changing the subject?

The "Subject:" of each letter should reflect the contents of
that letter. That's the ideal I strive for as Rob Funk described:

    http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00148.html

I see that you use Gmail. Gmail does not properly follow threads.
Instead Gmail feebly uses the "Subject:" to sort messages by for
what they call a "conversation". This Gmail bug has been
discussed before and will give you no end of grief.
Gmail seems unlikely to fix this bug (or other bugs!) in their service.

   http://groups.google.com/group/GMusers/browse_thread/thread/b57a058a23de499d

This has been discussed before. Please review the archived
threads. The archives do a great job of properly following
threads (thanks Jim Tittsler!), so you might want to do your
review there since Gmail is broken. Start here:

   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/threads.html#00144

Selected highlights:

   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00144.html
   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00158.html
   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00160.html
   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00161.html
   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00190.html
   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00195.html
   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00419.html

including your participation in the thread:

   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00298.html
   http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0601/msg00174.html

which seems to indicate that you use Sylpheed,
which has a proper thread view.
Use <ctrl>-T to toggle thread view.

Jim