Re: [tlug] a japanese dictionary: cell phones? portable user interfaces?

David Stibbe wrote:

> First I wish to create the dictionary for Linux,

Great!

Imagine your program running on half the cell phones in
Japan or China.

Of course, most programs written for Linux don't care what
kind of computer they run on. So if you don't require PC
(i386) specific stuff in your program, you'll have a
program that runs almost anywhere.

> then Windows and then Mac OS.

I presume that you are writing a GUI program.
Is that correct?

Were you expecting to write a Linux specific program,
then a Windows specific program, then a Mac specific program?
Are you looking at GUI APIs that would allow you to write
a program once for all three of those OSs?

Are you thinking of writing it as a web app
so as to punt on the whole UI issue?

What kind of GUIs are you thinking of?

> With pc based I meant personal-computer based.

Thanks. I understand now.

The terms "pc" and "personal computer" mean so many different
things to different people, that using them can cause confusion
and convey little meaning:

Even though you did not capitalize "pc",
many people can think you mean:

first:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC
then: