Re: [tlug] a japanese dictionary

Michael Engel wrote:
I'm working on building a japanese dictionary

Principally that's interesting, could you please explain your concept
of the dictionary in some words.
What structure will it have, where do you get the data for the
dictionary, etc...?

Currently I'm in the planning phase.
I am afraid I should have phrased myself more clearly before, for you might have misunderstood the goal of my project.

The concept is to create a graphical dictionary utility for several platforms (linux first, then windows and hopefully mac after that). I think you thought I was going to create a new dictionary as EDICT and KANJIDIC ?

How about classifying the words by subject, searching for synonyms or
related words and for antonyms (oposite meaning words)

Are such data available or do they need to be written from scratch ?

I do not know if this exists, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't for the antonyms; for the synonyms and 'related words' one could make a work around.

A sort would be pretty usefull too. Sort by furigana, by stroke count, by
some dictionary number. Grouping by kanji.
For such data, see the KanjiDic maintained by Jim Breen

Even though this data is available, the current utilities do not often provide a whole lot of choices when it comes to sorting ...

> An interesting project would be to set up an "open (extendable) SQL
> database" and "open source scripts" for it.
> I guess every good dictionary has such a database behind it anyway.

Even if though falls outside the scope of my original project, that wouldn't even be such a bad idea; this would be interesting to do :P

Kind regards,
David